Wednesday, November 09, 2016

The So-Called "Non-Educated" Voter


On November 9th, 1936 (I believe) my parents, William F. Bekkenhuis, Jr. and Muriel Murray, were married.

With all the talk about "uneducated", rural, white folk in this election, it occurs to me that neither of my parents had the opportunity my brother and I had to go to college.

But they were not "uneducated." My mom read the newspapers and the "ladies" magazines and my dad read, "True" and various books, including "Conscience of a Conservative," "Crusade in Europe," by Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, and a number of novels.

They both read National Geographic. And watched the TV specials.

He was a Lt. in the National Guard and read books on business by Peter Drucker as well as technical books on oil burner repair (which is how he started with Esso before becoming a salesman). He took courses in piloting small craft and qualified to get a real estate license.

I tried to remember how far they got in school (8th grade? 12th?) but now I'm not sure I ever asked them. Why would I?

It was not an issue.

It was obvious they valued education and were curious and thoughtful.

So when I talk about "low information" or "uneducated" voters, I DON'T mean folks like my parents. Because they VALUED knowledge and aspired to it with every opportunity they had.

I mean those who really have no interest in learning anything new, particularly things challenge their current beliefs and - worst - consider their lack of knowledge some type of high achievement that should command assent to the repeated nonsense they spout.

Thank you, mom and dad, for teaching me to respect educational opportunities, whether formal or from life.

No comments:

A 13 year old kid has a few items on his shopping list

  A 13 year old kid has a few items on his shopping list: Beer ❌ Cigarettes ❌ Racy Magazines ❌ Lottery Tickets ❌ Gun — No Problem! Another ...