Thursday, March 01, 2018

Public Service Announcement: See Your Podiatrist!


My long-suffering primary care physician referred me, as a type 2 diabetic, to an in-network podiatrist almost a year ago.

I didn't go.

I saw her again in October. She examined my feet and said, "You need to go to the podiatrist I referred you to."

My MOTHER used to go to a podiatrist. I have WAY too many doctors already and I don't CARE how my feet look.

She again said, "You NEED to go to a podiatrist. YESTERDAY!"

I set an appointment, had my car accident, and decided I could not afford yet another doctor in my life - so I again cancelled.

My next appointment with her is next month and decided that as she had kept me alive during sleep apnea, heart failure, and alcoholism, I guess if she wants me to go to the damn foot doctor (sorry, Dr. Bond :-)), I guess I'd better go to the damn foot doctor.

So I called and whined to the foot doctor about how I didn't need a foot doctor.

He presented the following facts to me.

"Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States. Among adults 20 to 74 years old, diabetes is the top cause of blindness, according to the NIDDK. Diabetes is also a leading cause of kidney failure. Nervous system damage affects about 60 to 70 percent of people with diabetes, and can lead to a variety of nerve problems.
"Many people with diabetes have impaired sensation in the hands and feet or carpal tunnel syndrome.

"Diabetes can also cause digestive problems and erectile dysfunction, and increases the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. Diabetes causes more than 60 percent of nontraumatic lower limb amputations."

My brother died from kidney failure as a complication of type 2 diabetes.

He asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment.

I said, "You had me at 'amputation,' do you have any openings, er, TOMORROW?"

Had the visit yesterday and I'm all straightened out and briefed on what I need to do to avoid having to learn how to walk on my hands. :-)

If diabetic, go thou and do likewise.

Diabetes by the Numbers: Facts, Statistics, and You

No comments:

A 13 year old kid has a few items on his shopping list

  A 13 year old kid has a few items on his shopping list: Beer ❌ Cigarettes ❌ Racy Magazines ❌ Lottery Tickets ❌ Gun — No Problem! Another ...